Thursday, November 8, 2007

Lost In Allahabad

Ah, I absolutely love blogging, even if I have nothing to talk about as such. I'm not having classes right now because our teachers have left us off due to Diwali. I did something really smart today (note the sarcasm), I got lost.

I happily went out alone as I was getting bored and I didn't want to eat today's mess food, and since I had no company, I went alone. On the way back, the rickshaw guy suddenly stopped and started asking me for double the amount he had first stated. This kind of pissed me off, so I got off the rickshaw and decided to find another one, execpt I started walking in the wrong direction thinking all roads have to meet some place or the other.

I then ran into another rickshaw, and settled the money with him, and was on my way. I had no idea that he didn't know how to take me to the hostel, and he himself didn't speak up about that. We came to a fork in the road, and I told him where to go, but he said he'll go the other way, and like an idiot, I agreed, thinking again that all roads have to meet somewhere. After about five minutes, I thought I had been on that road before, so I didn't say anything about how I think he's going the wrong way.

After some more time, I realized that I hadn't been on that road after all and I told him to ask for directions, but he kept putting it off, until finally he himself realized that I really didn't know how to get to my destination. Even then, he didn't ask properly, and I still felt hopelessly lost. Finally with great difficulty I pinpointed my exact location (luckily I have a good memory, I've been to this medical store only once before a long time ago, and I recognized it) and was on my way back to the hostel. Luckily the guy was decent enough not to ask me for extra money.

Boy was it an experience or what! Luckily it wasn't already dark, else I would've been in a lot of trouble. I saw parts of Allahabad that I never intended to see, and I actually enjoyed it upto a certain extent, though I would still prefer not getting lost. I think I'm better off not traveling alone in the future. I should really stop trying to be so smart.

3 comments:

Vaishnavi said...

well, this is quite a good beginning. Three posts in one day! :) I've been lost like that in Hyd sometime. Kept walking in the wrong direction somewhere near abids or koti and had to be directed to the nearest bus-stop!

Geetima... said...

Hmm...I too kinda lost my way today but unlike you I can speak to the rickshaw pullers properly(I really pity those poor guys with whom you converse in hindi!!!). N yeah I have always loved getting lost as its kinda adventurous for me...Oops I guess I had to talk about this blog...!!!Well written(as usual) but plz stop motivating people to lose their way...

Anita said...

hello,
interesting experience wasnt it?
and stop walking in the wrong directions .